Constitutional Amendments in Constitution of Pakistan
1st AMENDMENT (1974)
Redefined Boundaries of Pakistan
- The Provinces will be Baluchistan, the North-West Frontier, the Punjab and Sind.
- Islamabad Capital Territory, hereinafter referred to as the Federal Capital.
- Federally Administered Tribal Area and such other states by accession or otherwise.
2nd AMENDMENT (1974)
- Declared Armadas As Non Muslim’s.
3rd AMENDMENT (1975)
- Extend The Period Of Preventive Detention.
- Preventive Detention means detain a person at any unknown place whose acts are against the integrity of State.
4th AMENDMENT (1975)
- Give Additional Seats For Minorities.
5th AMENDMENT (1976)
- Widened The Scope Of Restrictions On High Court.
6th AMENDMENT (1976)
- The Judges Of High Court and Supreme Court Will Retire At The Age Of 62 & 65 Respectively.
7th AMENDMENT (1977)
- Give Powers To Prime Minister To Seek Vote Of Confidence At any Time From The People Of Pakistan.
8th AMENDMENT (1985)
- Semi Presidential System of Government Introduced From Parliamentary System of Government
- Give More Powers To President Of Pakistan.
9th AMENDMENT (1985)
- Amendment to Make Sharia Law as the Law of the Land.
10th AMENDMENT (1987)
- Fixed The Period of Intervals between Sessions of National Assembly to Not Exceed 130 days.
11th AMENDMENT (1989)
- Revision of National Seats in Both Assemblies.
- 20 seats for women were restored in National Assembly
12th AMENDMENT (1991)
- Speedy Trial Courts Was Established for a Period of 3 years To Trial Offenders of Heinous Crimes.
13th AMENDMENT (1997)
- Curtail The Powers Of President To Dissolve National Assembly And Dismissing The Prime Minister.
14th AMENDMENT (1997)
- Members Of Parliament Can Be Dismissed If There Is Found Any Defect.
15th AMENDMENT (1998)
- Bill to Impose Sharia Law Was Never Passed.
16th AMENDMENT (1999)
- Quota System Term Increased from 20 to 40 years.
17th AMENDMENT (2003)
- President Powers Increased
18th AMENDMENT (2010)
- Name Of NWFP Was Changed.
- Famous Article 6 Of High Treason Was Introduced.
- Removed The Powers Of President To Dissolve Assembly Unilaterally.
19th AMENDMENT (2010)
- Islamabad High Court Was Formed
- Deals with Appointment of Judges of Supreme Court.
20th AMENDMENT (2012)
- For Free and Fair Elections.
- Chief Election Commissioner Was Changed To Election Commission Of Pakistan.
21st AMENDMENT (2015)
- Military Courts Was Established After APS Massacre.
22nd AMENDMENT 2016
- Changing the Eligibility Criteria for Chief Election Commissioner of Pakistan.
- Bureaucrats and Technocrats also will become members of Election Commission of Pakistan.
23rd AMENDMENT April 2017
- In 2015, National Assembly passed the 21st Amendment and created the military courts for the period of 2 years.
- The period of two years was expired on 6th January 2017
- This 23rd Amendment was passed to re-establish the military courts for further two years till 6th January 2019.
24th AMENDMENT Nov 2017
- Allow the conduct of delimitation of constituencies on the basis of provisional census results.
25th AMENDMENT (2018)
- The Merger of FATA with KPK was signed by President Mammon Hussain on 31-May-2018